Major update to Funding for Adventurous Activities Training
We have just extended our grants scheme to cover more activities. In addition more people are now eligible and you do not have to wait until the next closing date for a decision.
The scheme now covers training to run all adventurous activities, archery, shooting, swimming and D of E Award expedition assessor and supervisor training, together with first aid for adventurous activities.
Also, it is now open to all Explorer Scouts, whether or not Young Leaders, as well as Scout Network Members and other adults in Berkshire Scouting.
Applications will now be considered on receipt and we will do our best to give you a decision within 3 weeks.
What will this scheme help pay for?
You can normally expect to receive half the cost of the cheapest reasonably easily available training & assessment course (or series of courses) leading to a permit or qualification to run an activity for our young people providing you commit to gaining a permit or other required qualification and to running these activities for young people in Scouting
If you are gaining your permit by obtaining an equivalent National Governing Body (NGB) qualification, we will contribute half of any certificate or mandatory registration fees.
If you need to stay overnight and course cannot be provided locally, we will also contribute half the cost of basic overnight accommodation (e.g. campsite or YHA overnight fees)
What is not covered by the scheme?
1) Courses which you have already attended before you apply.
2) Training covered by The Scout Association’s adult leader training programme, including Nights Away and First Response courses. Berkshire Scouts already provides these free of charge.
3) Training in the basic skills for an activity, such as the BCU 1 & 2 Star awards in Paddle-sport, or training for your personal hobbies. You must commit to gaining a permit or other required qualification and to running the activities you are being trained in for young people in Scouting
4) Cancellation fees, lost deposits etc. if you fail to attend or complete a course.
5) Training not required to gain a permit or recognised equivalent qualification leading to a permit or higher level permit.
6) Practice sessions to help build up experience.
7) Maintenance of any NGB registration or the cost of CPD (continuing professional development) training.
8) Travelling costs.
How do I apply?
Download and complete the application form and e-mail it to the County Administrator, Karen Thurlow, at [email protected]. You should list all the courses you need to complete to gain a permit or the required qualification but you only need to specify provisional dates and venues for your first course at this stage. You will be asked to provide more detailed information once you have attended each course.
Please note that you must provide information about your relevant experience, how you plan to make good use of your qualification in Scouting and sign the form.
We will also accept block applications from Groups or Districts for people all seeking permits etc. for the same same activity. Download the block application form and email it to the County administrator (see above).
When will I receive my grant?
You will receive payment for each approved course you do once you have provided evidence of payment and successful completion.
County run courses
We run County training and assessment courses for climbing, hillwalking, rowing, archery, shooting and traditional rafting. If you come on one of these for training or assessment, you will only be charged half the full fee providing you commit to gaining a permit or other required qualification and to running these activities for young people in Scouting. Consequently you do not need to apply for a grant in advance if you want to come on one of our courses
The cost of the County run Rescue/Remote Emergency Care Level 2 and Outdoor Pursuits 16 Hour First Aid Courses is also subsidised for permit holders and those qualified to run activities covered by the scheme and again you do not need to apply for a grant in advance.