Manager And Supporter Training
From July 2017 the Scout Association has introduced a new training scheme for managers and supporters. Full can be found on the Scout Association website.
The snippet below will help give you an overview of the scheme.
- Getting Started - Essential Information, PLP and Tools for the Role (Managers and Supporters)
- Training for All Appointments - Fundamentals of Scouting, Changes in Scouting, Scouting for All, First Aid, Administration, Delivering a Quality Programme
- Leadership and Management Training - This is structured around six core skill areas of leadership and management plus a module on safety. The learning opportunities for the Leadership and Management Training is split into two elements:
- Independent Learning - this will cover the knowledge required by learners to understand the key topics of leadership and management and related Scouting processes. The learning will be accessed via a variety of methods, including videos, e-learning and workbooks.
- Skills courses – this will consist of three courses (Skills of Management, Meeting the Challenges and Achieving Growth) where learners have an opportunity discuss and demonstrate different skills relating to leadership and management.
The Leadership and Management Training is a part of the Wood Badge for Manager and Supporter roles. The learning opportunities for this training are divided into two areas:
- Independent Learning - this covers the knowledge required by learners to understand the key topics of leadership and management and related Scouting processes. The learning can be accessed via a variety of methods, including videos, e-learning and workbooks.
- Skills courses – this consists of three courses where learners have an opportunity discuss and demonstrate different skills relating to leadership and management.
Validating the Leadership and Management Training
The Leadership and Management Training is validated against six core skill areas and a safety module. More information about the objectives for each area can be found at the links below.
- Working with People
- Managing Time and Personal Skills
- Providing Direction
- Using Resources
- Enabling Change
- Achieving Results
- Safety for Managers and Supporters
The specific validation criteria can be found in the Adult's Personal File (APF) for Managers and Supporters.
Then complete the Independent Learning over a 6 month period Independent Learning
This will give you a better understanding and experience of what you have put in place so far to take with you on the Skills courses. These are run across the south-east of England and dates are available in the diary.
Supporting you through your training
Your Local Training Manager (LTM) will help identify a L&M Training Advisor (L&M TA) for you, they will ask them to make contact with you to set up a meeting to go through the new scheme, answer any questions you may have, provide you with an APF and agree a personal learning plan with you against your role description. Please contact your Local Training Manager for support.
If you are interested in becoming an L&M TA please contact the County Training Manager for more details.